The Hobby Boxes are out, the Breaks are in full-swing, and the Retail release could happen next week or even next month. Like it or not, the most popular set of Basketball cards has arrived, and Prizm rookies are hot items to get. If you’re looking to get base (basic, plain) rookie cards of star rookies like Mobley, Cunningham, Green, or Giddey, you’ll find better prices in six weeks if you’re willing to wait. The hoopla (pun intended!) will die down, and the bargains will begin.
When it comes to buying 2021-22 Prizm rookies, we wanted to give you some ideas, experience, and yes, some lists! Once you’ve reviewed or memorized the Prizm checklists over at Beckett.com, you’ll want to keep these things in mind…
Top 5 Stars in this 2021-22 Class of Rookies (Usually the most expensive teams to buy in Breaks!):
(1) Cade Cunningham – The #1 draft pick didn’t disappoint, and he could team up with Jaden Ivey and Saddiq Bey for a Pistons playoff run as early as this season!
(2) Jalen Green – It’s about upside, and Green flashed all the signs of being an unstoppable scorer and the NBA’s next human highlight film.
(3) Evan Mobley – Mobley could have won rookie of the year, and should be an All-Star for many years to come.
(4) Scottie Barnes – Barnes DID win rookie of the year, and he’s a legit superstar in waiting. What a terrific class!
(5) Josh Giddey – The kid does it all, is barely 19 years old, and could end up as the best overall NBA player in this class – yikes.
Top 5 Sleepers in this 2021-22 Class:
(1) Bones Hyland – ready to shine on a healthy Denver contender, Bones can play both guard positions and his cards are already up!
(2) Cameron Thomas – kid is a certified “bucket,” and here’s one investor hoping Kyrie leaves Brooklyn and makes room for Cam’s scoring machine.
(3) Jalen Suggs – lots of top-5 picks have had rough rookie seasons like Suggs. Remember Darius Garland? Russell Westbrook?
(4) Moses Moody – if he’s the next Jordan Poole, nobody will be surprised. He’s in the perfect system to develop into that, and ahead of schedule.
(5)Tre Mann – Another energy guy who just needs to get minutes, which OKC seems committed to doing.
Top 5 Guys Who Can Play but I’m not Buying their Cards:
(1) Alperen Sengun: Houston loves him so much they dealt Wood to make room. But he’s a rebounder and a role player to Jalen and Jabari.
(2) Chris Duarte – What a terrific and surprising rookie season for this guy who card investors will remember as “Haliburton’s sidekick” on a bad team.
(3) Davion Mitchell – Yet another talented sidekick in the Kings’ growing log-jam of smallish guards – De’Aaron, Malik Monk, Kevin Huerter, Terence Davis..
(4) Herb Jones – terrific defender and wing with a bright future, but why should I be investing in the sixth scoring option on an average team?
(5) Joshua Primo – welcome to this year’s NIckeil Alexander-Walker. People love his name and his scoring outbreaks once a month. I’ll pass.
Top 5 Guys I Don’t Want to Get in a Blaster Box Because I’ve Still Got No Idea Who they Are:
(1) Santi Aldama – Yeah, you’d think I’d have heard of a “Santi” by now, but no, I don’t want his Fast Break Rookie Autograph.
(2) Luka Garza – Pretty sure he’s already cut, but some team will pick him up because guys named Luka are good for ticket sales.
(3) Marcus Zegarowski – Yep, he’s on the Rookie Signatures checklist. Probably so Panini can say they put enough rookie autos in your FOTL.
(4) JT Thor – Okay, I know who he is, but my guess is he was drafted because of Love and Thunder. Great movie, if you like the new “silly Thor.”
(5) Isaiah Livers – he’s on all the checklists, and this is news to me. Sorry if he was your case hit.
Top 5 Guys I Haven’t Mentioned Yet but I’d send their Silver to PSA Immediately if I got one in a Blaster:
(1) Franz Wagner – Obviously. Maybe he should have been on my first list.
(2) Ayo Dosunmu – Of all the rookie point guards from last season, Dosunmu might have been the most surprising and played great for the Bulls.
(3) Jonathan Kuminga – Yep, he’s got all the makings of a future star. But what will his game be like in five years?
(4) Ziaire Williams – Memphis loves this long, 3 and D wing, and he will develop nicely as part of Memphis’ core of young scorers.
(5) Isaiah Jackson – Long term, he might be the best front court talent the Pacers have had since, well I guess Sabonis. But still!
Top 5 Players Whose Cards Won’t Be Worth Much More in Twelve Months:
(1) Scottie Barnes – If Barnes was carrying a rebuilding team, he’d soar now. But he’s got Fred, OG, Gary, and Pascal to share buckets with.
(2) Evan Mobley – He’s a big man. Big men don’t take over the hobby in year two. Give him a couple more years before calling him A.D.
(3) Alperen Sengun – obviously.
(4) Corey Kispert – I was reluctant to put him on any of these lists, but he could be on all of them. Great job, Corey!
(5) Cade Cunningham – Yeah, I’m saying he already has “superstar” value baked in, and the Pistons are NOT going on that playoff run this year.